1. Hearing aid fitting begins with a diagnostic hearing evaluation.
2. Based on the history obtained, individual needs, and hearing test results, recommendations are shared about hearing aid candidacy, prognosis for improvement, circuit and model recommendations, and the total cost.
3. Select a model appropriate for the hearing loss and life-style. This may or may not require an ear mold impression of each ear. Ear Mold impressions take about ten minutes to obtain. Often, dental blocks are used to obtain the impression.
4. When the hearing aids are delivered to Appalachian Audiology, you will be scheduled for a hearing aid fitting and orientation. The fitting takes about 1.5 hours and will measure your aided and unaided word understanding, real ear probe microphone measures, and also includes a thorough orientation to the use and care of the hearing aids, batteries, and any other accessories. The fitting day begins a thirty day trial period.
You will then return to the clinic in two weeks for a conformity appointment, ensuring that all environmental sounds and speech are comfortable, natural, and clear.
5. After perhaps one or two more visits to "tweak" the hearing aids, you will return every six months or so for cleanings and any additional adjustments needed, all at no charge.